2008-07-10

Dating can wait a bit for Genelia


You’d be excused for thinking that Genelia D’Souza is a chirpy, bubbly, gregarious girl, just like she appears in the movies. Because she is, by her own admission. The smile is not just for the movie posters, and she prattles on happily amid the frenzy of the activity around her. “I’m basically not from a filmi family,” she starts. “I had gone to a wedding where someone from an ad agency saw me, one of the bridesmaids, and pointed in my direction, asking, ‘What is her name?’ My aunt, at whom the question was directed, gave everyone’s name but mine! And that wasn’t surprising. I’m my family’s tomboy. I’m into football and games and stuff. So, I can’t blame my aunt for not being able to imagine that he was asking for my name! However, I was called for an audition later, and I got my first ad after that. I haven’t looked back since then,” she adds.
Not strange at all, in fact, considering that Genelia’s spent five years in the movies here. And contrary to popular perception, she says, the film industries here in the south are not option B for Bollywood failures. “Though people believe that Bollywood dropouts come to the South, I don’t think that’s true. I’ve been here for five years, and I can vouch for the fact that it’s no cakewalk. In fact, I’ve gone back to Bollywood having learnt much more,” she explains. Ironically, her next movie is with the guy her current co-star, Imran, has been pitted against – Harman Baweja. “It’s called It’s My Life,” she says. Speaking of her life, what about the love part of it – is she seeing anyone? “I am single. I’ll have enough time in the future to date someone, but right now, I’m mighty busy with work,” she signs off.

No comments: